1. Jason Molina died at the age of 39 on Saturday, March 16th.
2. If you’re unfamilar with Molina, here’s NPR’s Stephen Thompson on his work:
Still, Molina’s songs wove that self-pitying sadness — songs of a man cowering under a sky he cursed, or peering into horizons that seemed empty — into expressions of bracing, strangely soothing beauty. His open, aching voice could convey overwhelming emotion with the slightest inflection; if you loved his music, you’d swear you could feel a word or phrase or hook in your blood.
3. Jason Molina began performing songs under the name Songs: Ohia in 1996
“Just Be Simple”
Key Lyrics: “But I’m not looking for an easy way out / This whole life it’s been about / Try and try and try / And try and try and try / To be simple again.”
“I’ve Been Riding With A Ghost”
Key Lyrics: “See I ain’t getting better / I am only getting behind / I am standing on a crossroad trying to make up my mind / I’m trying to remember how it got so late / Why every night pain comes from a different place.”
“Untitled (It Won’t Be Easy)”
Key Lyrics: Somewhere else must be / The alarm and struggle in me / I see in your face / A certain likeness / To someone yesterday you told me about / That it won’t be easy.”
6. Since 2003, he’s made a lot of music under the name Magnolia Electric Co.
Key Lyrics: “I’ve been on that road and it was darkness end to end / And I just headed for the dark again / How far am I from living my whole life / Only in the dark”
Key Lyrics: “Oh Grace, if you stop believing / That don’t mean that it just goes away / It’s a long way between horizons / And it gets farther every day.”
“Leave The City”
Key Lyrics: “It broke my heart to leave the city / I mean it broke what wasn’t / Broken in there already / But all my great reasons / For leavin’ now i can’t think of any.”
9. He also released a lot of great material under his own name.
“Heart My Heart”
Key Lyrics: “Ghost in the canyon / If I can open my eyes / This feather and my life will / Fly, fly.”
Key Lyrics: “Paul’s pictures to the harvesters / My will to the world between / My will, I have gone along / The twelve fires were gathering.”
“It’s Easier Now”
Key Lyrics: “And I just say I got better / It’s easier now / That I just say I got better / It’s easier when I just admit / Death comes now / And the next minute.”
- Chicago police chief Garry McCarthy has resigned after backlash from the police shooting death of Laquan McDonald. ›
- It's World AIDS Day — 35 million people have died from AIDS-related conditions, and more than 34 million people are living with the disease. ›
- Facebook CEO Mark Zuckerberg says he'll give away 99% of his Facebook shares (worth $45 billion today) over the course of his life. ›